West Sussex School Business Managers is committed to protecting the privacy and security of personal information. This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Who Collects This Information
West Sussex School Business Managers is a “data controller.” This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information.
The Categories of Information That We Collect, Process, Hold and Share
We may collect, store and use the following categories of personal information about our members:
- Personal information such as name, job title, and contact details;
- Characteristics of your establishment (such as phase of education, any religious status, funding and governance category etc.;
- Attendance at events we organise;
- Dietary requirements;
- A photograph or image to represent your identity within the online community;
- Information about the use of our IT, communications and other systems, and other monitoring information;
- Membership of other relevant organisations;
Collecting This Information
There is essential information we require in order to facilitate your membership such as your name and email address. All other information is provided voluntarily.
In the majority of cases, the information held is provided directly by you and can be viewed and updated at any time by you without needing to contact us. It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep your personal record up to date and informed if you are unable to do so.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We hold personal data and use it for: -
- Providing access to the online community;
- Providing attendance at our events;
- Keeping you up to date with relevant information about the group or the wider profession;
- Monitoring use of the online community to ensure it is effective and providing value for money to our members;
The Lawful Basis on Which We Use This Information
We will only use your information when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your information in the following circumstances: -
- Consent: the individual has given clear consent to process their personal data for a specific purpose;
- Contract: the processing is necessary for a contract with the individual;
- Legal obligation: the processing is necessary to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations);
- Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life; and
- Public task: the processing is necessary to perform a task in the public interest or for official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law;
We need all the categories of information in the list above primarily to allow us to comply with legal obligations. Please note that we may process information without knowledge or consent, where this is required or permitted by law.
We may need to share your data with third parties where it is necessary. There are strict controls on who can see your information. We will not share your data without your consent unless we are legally required to do so.
We share information in the following ways: -
- Anonymised statistical data to indicate the size and breadth of membership to potential members or sponsors;
- Anonymised data to professional bodies or government organisations such as the DfE; This may include the name of the school, but no personal information or contact details of members;
- This may include your school / organisation name but no personal details;
- All members are listed in the Member Directory which is visible to everyone who has an account in the online community (including sponsors and other members). The list will include your name, job title and school / organisation as well as some statistical information about your setting (such as whether it is maintained ro an academy, has a sixth form etc.) At no point is your email address or any other contact details visible to other users of the online community other than those who administer the system.
- For some events we will share a delegate list with sponsors of that event; where this is likely to happen it will be made clear at the point at the registration point for the event. This delegate list will include your name, job title and school / organisation name but will not contain any personal contact details (i.e. email address or direct dial telephone number)
The recipient of the information will be bound by confidentiality obligations, we require them to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with the law.
Why We Share This Information
We share this information solely for the good of the group and its members. Sharing information in this way helps to generate income, maintain strong membership numbers and have close ties with key organisations.
The group keep information about members within the online community which is provided by theEducationCollective and some additional information will be stored on computers of individuals working on behalf of the group e.g. committee members, paid officers etc.
For more information on how theEducationCollective stores and processes information please visit http://www.theeducationcollective.com/dataprotection/
Information on members is kept indefinitely as this is key to maintaining the online community and the historical and valuable advice it provides. Rather than being deleted it is held in an archive accessible by administrators of the Online Community only. The only information that is visible within the online community relating to a former member is where they have posted information in the form of documents or discussion posts.
Complete erasure of information about you is possible upon request.
Automated Decision Making
Automated decision making takes place when an electronic system uses personal information to make a decision without human intervention. We do not undertake any automated decision making.
We have put in place measures to protect the security of your information (i.e. against it being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way).
Requesting Access to Your Personal Data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about you that we hold.
You also have the right to: -
- Object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress;
- Prevent processing for the purposes of direct marketing;
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means;
- In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection regulations.
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, please contact the group in writing.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Right to Withdraw Consent
In circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal information for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact the group. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
If you would like to discuss anything within this privacy notice or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you contact the group via the normal channels in the first instance.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues at https://ico.org.uk/concerns.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.